Now you have your own fantasy world and want to implement magic into it, great! There are a few things you need to ask yourself before you begin, this post is basically just a list of questions you need to ask yourself before you sprinkle the fairy dust on your well-planned fantasy world (see previous posts about world building, religion and creature creation).
Here’s the list:
- Who can use magic? Why can’t the others use it?
- What are the limitations of the magic? Can a healer heal anything and everyone? If not, why not?
- Has magic always been part of the world? If no, how did it all begin?
- Where does the magic come from? Is it in the air, on the ground, all around you or in a different dimension? If it is in a different dimension, how do you reach out and use it?
- How do you practice the magic? Spells, rituals, weapons, enchantments or movements? Does it live within the magic user, or is it external?
These are very important questions to ask yourself. If you have an answer to all these, you will find yourself with a ‘realistic’ rule of magic in your world!
I can discuss writing realistic rules of magic all day, but I can’t get it all into one post! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need help with creating your magic – facebook.com/melinasvoice
© Melina Wedin 2017